- Program Description
- Program of Studies / Mandatory Courses
- Admission and Registration
- Learning Outcomes
- Next Steps
- Additional Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- College Resources
- Program Contact
GIS, a popular and affordable technology, provides the ability to automate map production and integrate earth imagery with other data to solve geographic problems. Develop or enhance your skills and knowledge in effective use and management of GIS. Designed for managers, technical professionals, and support staff responsible for managing and using GIS, Urban Planners, Civil and Transportation engineers and individuals in resources management and business.
Learn how to use various GIS software platforms, such as ArcGIS, data management, and you will learn how to use GPS technology and how it can be used on GIS mapping.
Admission and Registration
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Simply ensure you meet the requirements listed on the Admission Requirements webpage prior to registering.
Interested in taking a single course? Provided you have the appropriate prerequisites, the courses in this program can be taken individually.
Bursary funding may be available. Learn more about Financial Assistance Options for Continuing Education Students.
- Understand the fundamentals of GIS theory, GIS software, GPS equipment, data management and structure, remote sensing, and internet mapping.
- Discover how to incorporate certain GIS initiatives into your job.
- Understand what the various job markets are looking for in GIS proficiency today.
- Government Agencies (local, provincial and federal)
- Transportation services
- Urban planning
- Data management warehousing
- Police Foundations, Criminal Analysis
- Emergency Medical Services, Dispatch control
- Consulting Agencies
- Environmental constraints analysis
- GPS surveying
- Spatial data analysis
- GIS Software Developers
- GIS education
- Business analysis
GIS Positions and Titles
- Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists
- Geographic Information Systems Technician
- Cartographers and Photogrammetrist
- Surveying Technicians
- Mapping Technicians
Popular GIS Job Posting Websites
- Geography Jobs (opens new window)
- Indeed (opens new window)
- Canadian GIS (opens new window)
- Geomatics Canada (opens new window)
For details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, visit the Government of Canada Job Bank (opens in new window).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Continuing Education FAQ
- Where can I find more information on registering?
- What is the fee structure?
- How can I apply for an exemption?
- Can I obtain credit for learning obtained outside a traditional classroom?
- Where can I find more information on online learning and exams for online courses?
- How do I apply to graduate?
Technology and Skills Development