- Program Description
- Program of Studies / Mandatory Courses
- Admission and Registration
- Learning Outcomes
- Next Steps
- Additional Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- College Resources
- Program Contact
Discover the French language and develop practical skills through in class discussions, group work, language lab exercises and grammar theory. Gain written and conversational skills for work or personal enjoyment. This program offers exposure to the French language for individuals who are:
- Working in a bilingual milieu
- Seeking a career involving the French language
- Developing their conversation skills
Admission and Registration
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Simply ensure you meet the requirements listed on the Admission Requirements webpage prior to registering.
Interested in taking a single course? Provided you have the appropriate prerequisites, the courses in this program can be taken individually.
Bursary funding may be available. Learn more about Financial Assistance Options for Continuing Education Students.
- Be able to communicate orally and in writing in French.
- Become fluent in French oral communication.
- Write grammatically correct materials.
- Read and discuss French articles from newspapers and magazines.
Learn to communicate in French for careers which require a second language or specifically French.
For details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, visit the Government of Canada Job Bank (opens in new window).
Already have experience with the French Language? If you think that you are eligible for direct placement into a higher level, you may register for a challenge exam.
Visit the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) website or email PLAR.
- You can challenge up to 75% of the courses for the Certificate.
- Written tests (LANGFR003, LANGFR004, LANGFR005 and LANGFR006): You may obtain up to 4 credits with these tests which measure competence in grammar.
- Oral tests (LANGFS032, LANGFS033): You may obtain up to 2 credits with these tests which measure conversational competence.
- A non-refundable fee will be charged.
- Exams are to be arranged during the semester.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Continuing Education FAQ
- Where can I find more information on registering?
- What is the fee structure?
- How can I apply for an exemption?
- Can I obtain credit for learning obtained outside a traditional classroom?
- Where can I find more information on online learning and exams for online courses?
- How do I apply to graduate?
Interdisciplinary, Media, Creative Arts and Business