- Program Description
- Program of Studies / Mandatory Courses
- Admission and Registration
- Learning Outcomes
- Next Steps
- Frequently Asked Questions
- College Resources
- Program Contact
Get hands-on dressmaking experience!
Professional fit and appearance are the hallmarks of dressmaking. This certificate has been designed to develop advanced creative sewing and dressmaking skills, enabling you to achieve a professional standard. Exploring different fabrics and textures while constructing creative garments, you will complete samples and patterns of techniques demonstrated to use for future designs. The skills and knowledge gained through this program will enable you to pursue a career in the sewing field.
Supplies are required for these courses and it is your responsibility to bring your own materials. A list of materials required will be emailed to you before the course starts. If you would like more information, or an advanced list of materials, please contact us.
Basic sewing skills can be obtained through our Basic Sewing series of courses.
More experienced dressmakers, interested in fashion and design, may be interested in our Fashion Design Certificate.
Admission and Registration
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Simply ensure you meet the requirements listed on the Admission Requirements webpage prior to registering.
Successful completion of Secondary School English or equivalent.
Interested in taking a single course? Provided you have the appropriate prerequisites, the courses in this program can be taken individually.
Bursary funding may be available. Learn more about Financial Assistance Options for Continuing Education Students.
- Development of sewing skills achieve professional techniques in constructing various garments for anyone.
- Proper usage of equipment and fabric.
- Understand and apply the major concepts related to clothing constructions, fitting standards and pattern alterations.
- Apply this to the fit and appearance of a garment.
- Sewing specialist
- Alteration specialist
- Cottage based business or small business entrepreneur
- Established retail and fashion stores and manufacturers
For details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, visit the Government of Canada Job Bank (opens in new window).
Frequently Asked Questions
Interdisciplinary, Media, Creative Arts and Business