- Program Description
- Program of Studies / Mandatory Courses
- Admission and Registration
- Learning Outcomes
- Next Steps
- Field Placement / Clinical
- Additional Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- College Resources
- Program Contact
This online learning program has been designed to meet the needs of those who wish to pursue a career as an Educational Support/Assistant or are already working in the field and need to upgrade their qualifications.
The provincially-approved curriculum has been designed to develop the aptitudes, knowledge and skills needed to work with, and support children and youth with special needs during their educational experience. Through a carefully designed program of studies that combines theory and hands-on practice in school-based field placements, candidates prepare to work with teachers, and other professionals in meeting a wide-range of exceptional student needs.
The program is equivalent to the Educational Support Diploma. The online format enables you to learn at your own pace and continue current full-time employment.
What You'll Learn
- Develop skills to work with and support students with exceptionalities across a variety of settings.
- Assist students with academics, behaviour, life skills and personal care in a school or alternative setting.
- Use technology and implement strategies to maximize student learning and success.
If you choose full-time (online) delivery you will complete this program in three semesters. If you choose part-time (online) delivery you will complete this program in approximately four semesters.
Courses in this program cost approximately $400 to $550 each. Textbooks are extra.
Admission and Registration
You must apply, and submit your official transcript, through the Ontario College Application Service (OCAS) (opens in new window) prior to registering for courses.
Intakes are available in the Fall (September), Winter (January), and Spring (May).
- Allied University degree or college diploma in Health Sciences or Human Services (70% guideline) with at least one course in developmental or abnormal psychology.
- Proof of English proficiency for applicants where English is not their first language must be submitted to Ontario Colleges.
Language Requirements for International Students
- Successful completion of GAS-EAP (478) Program Level 8
- TOEFL minimum score of 560 (83 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.5 overall with no band less than 6.0
- More information about acceptable certificates can be found at International Students - Understand Admission Requirements.
Applicants should note that some employment opportunities require that certain physical standards must be met as a condition of employment.
OSAP funding may be available. Learn more about Financial Assistance Options for Continuing Education Students.
Mohawk Pathways offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies. Equivalences and/or course exemptions may apply. Prerequisite courses and/or minimum averages may be required. Students that graduate from any of the following programs are eligible to enroll in the Educational Support (Intensive) program:
Graduates from the Educational Support (Intensive) program are eligible to enroll into the following Ontario College Graduate Certificate programs:
- Autism and Behavioral Science
- Brain Disorders Management
- Concurrent Disorders
- Expressive Arts
- Mental Health and Disability Management
View our internal pathways map (PDF) which shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices.
Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
Visit ontransfer.ca to view opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
- Educational Assistant
- Learning Facilitator
Industries of Employment
- School Boards
- Private Schools
- Community Facilities offering Special Education
- College and Postsecondary Programs
For details on related occupations, job market information and career opportunities, visit the Government of Canada Job Bank (opens in new window).
Field Placement / Clinical
View our Educational Support (Intensive) Field Placements page for details.
iPads are required in this program. View the minimum requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Continuing Education FAQ
- Where can I find more information on registering?
- What is the fee structure?
- How can I apply for an exemption?
- Can I obtain credit for learning obtained outside a traditional classroom?
- Where can I find more information on online learning and exams for online courses?
- How do I apply to graduate?
Community Services and Support